Urban Research Corps
The below position(s) are currently available in the Urban Research Corps. Please submit your materials via the Google Form linked below.
Project Eclipse: Deployment Facilitator
Deadline to apply: September 27, 2021
Project Eclipse seeks to provide a platform for monitoring environmental equity through the deployment of a real-time air quality monitoring network. This position will provide logistical support both in sensor maintenance and data collection. In September and October, the position will also facilitate engagement and outreach to community groups around Chicago through the deployment of an “eco-pod” – a mobile pop-up lab that will be hosted by community organizations each weekend in October.
While the primary work is logistical and would be appropriate for an advanced undergraduate student, the position could be adjusted to include more advanced research in the fields of human-computer interaction, urban planning, spatial statistics, or sensor calibration and modeling based on the interests and skills of the applicant.
The role is up to 15 hours per week starting in late September of 2021.
- Advanced undergraduate or early graduate student
- Located in Chicago, with the ability to visit sensor locations around the city
- Available on weekends in October to support community events
- Interest in environmental justice and health equity
- Experience in public health/epidemiology, spatial statistics, urban planning and design, environmental science, electrical engineering, or computer science
- Preference for students with proficiency in Spanish
- Programming experience, ideally fluency in R and experience with Shiny OR experience conducting qualitative research such as participatory design workshops, survey, or interview research
Class Level Eligibility:
3rd and 4th year undergraduate students and all graduate students
How to Apply
Participants must complete a short online questionnaire, submit their resume, and provide a link to a previous project that includes a code sample. The interview process involves a 30-minute conversation and a short take-home technical assessment.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Google Form Q&A
- PDF Resume
- Example of previous project work that includes code